And for this reason when I saw this album in Goodwill...
...it had to be mine.
It was a quiet evening in the Murphy home and we decided to make some ruckus with this bad boy.
So, we pulled out our new Andrew Sister's album and this dropped out on to the floor from the inside of the album cover.
I doubt Lorin ever thought her letter to Tom Brust would travel from The Hotel Luna in Venice, to Syosset New York, and somehow inside of a record to a Goodwill in Atlanta Georgia, and then to the quaint little apartment of two newlyweds.
But it did.
She spoke of Venice, Rome, Paris, Florence, and Switzerland. She wrote of Italian leather, Swiss watches, and French hash. She painted pictures of American doctors, gondola rides, and 72 hour bus rides through the European countryside.
After we devoured Lorin's words and soaked in her stories, Mr. Murphy swung me around our living room in our bare-feet to the sounds of "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" flying through the air. We learned a lot that night.
3 things we know about Tom:
1. He lived in New York
2. He knew a girl named Lorin
3. He loved the Andrew Sisters
3 things we know about Lorin:
1. She never saw the Eiffel Tower, The Statue of David, or the Pope
2. She was once bitten on the eye by a mosquito in Europe
3. She smoked some hash with a girl named Cheri in Venice
3 things we now know:
1. This letter makes for excellent inspiration for a song in one of our jam sesh's.
2. It would take us an hour and a half to get to 8 Arizona Avenue from downtown Manhattan and someday we might try.
3. We want to go to Europe and see all of the things Lorin never did. Even the Pope. And we will do it in her honor.